Monday, July 3, 2017

What are my legal options if I am injured in a Dallas hit and run accident? Can I recover money even if I don’t know who harmed me?

I’m sorry to hear of your hit and run accident. No one is immune to hit and run accidents. Sadly, a Dallas police officer was severely injured in a hit and run accident at the end of May. He was responding to a call when a pickup truck slammed into him, pushing his police car into a creek. Eyewitnesses responded and helped save the officer’s life. A teenager was arrested and charged with leaving the scene of the accident and automobile theft.

Under Texas law, leaving the scene of an accident is illegal. It’s been estimated that about 10 percent of all car accidents involve hit and run drivers. There are a number of reasons a driver may flee the scene of the accident – they may be committing a crime at the time, such as intoxicated driving or driving a stolen vehicle. They may not have any insurance coverage. In some cases, they simply panic and flee.

If you are hit by a driver who is found and does not have enough insurance to cover your damages, you may be able to make a claim against your own insurance company if you have uninsured or under-insured motorist coverage. If you are hit by a hit and run driver, and that driver cannot be located, you may also be able to make a claim against your own insurance company.

If you have been injured by a hit and run driver, it’s critical that you speak with an experienced personal injury attorney. You may be able to obtain compensation for your medical expenses, lost wages, pain and suffering, and property damage. Call the Dallas-Fort Worth personal injury attorneys at the Barber Law Firm at 972-635-4078. We have offices across the city at which we can help you. Call today to learn more or to schedule a free consultation.

The post What are my legal options if I am injured in a Dallas hit and run accident? Can I recover money even if I don’t know who harmed me? appeared first on Barber Law Firm | Personal Injury Lawyers & Car Accident Attorneys.

No comments:

Post a Comment